John on January 19, 2007 at 11:41 pm
Scot McKnight, who is becoming one of my favorite faith bloggers, has answers. He sees five streams of thought that lead to the modern emerging church (which he differentiates from the Emergent church). They are:
- Prophetic Rhetoric – a flair for grand statements
- Postmodernism – rejection of meta-narratives
- Praxis-oriented – Life over doctrine. Being Missional.
- Post Evangelical – Not sold on systematics.
- Political – Leaning leftwards.
I’m simplifying quite a bit, but that’s the gist. As someone who falls into the general category Scot is setting out here, I think he’s very much on target. The whole thing is worth reading if you’re at all interested in the subject.
Category: Religion & Faith |