RSS 2.0 Follow Us!
 

Related Posts

Gay Marriage Opens the Door

John on May 30, 2006 at 11:31 am

Since the gay marriage debate began in this country about a decade ago, supporters of traditional marriage have tried to point out that gay marriage is really the beginning of the end of marriage. Once marriage can be applied to gays, it can be applied to almost anything else using the same logic. For almost as long as this point has been raised, the opposite argument has been raised, i.e. that it is unfair to tar gay individuals seeking civil rights with the brush of polygamy, pedophilia, bestiality, etc.

But things do change. Ten years after this debate got started, HBO has a hit show about polygamy. The show’s creators have stated that their goal was to use polygamy as a stand in for gay rights. So what was once considered an unfair debate tactic has now been absorbed by the gay rights agenda as ammunition for their cause.

Today, Reuters has a story of pedophiles in Amsterdam who are forming their own political party. A spokesman for the new groups said:

“We want to make pedophilia the subject of discussion,” he said, adding the subject had been a taboo since the 1996 Marc Dutroux child abuse scandal in neighboring Belgium.

“We want to get into parliament so we have a voice. Other politicians only talk about us in a negative sense, as if we were criminals,” Van den Berg told Reuters.

It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that this group is cribbing [pun intended] from the gay rights playbook. The first step is to raise the issue publically and remove the stigma of taboo and criminality. And in that regard, the new party already has the right enemies.

Right-wing lawmaker Geert Wilders said he had asked the government to investigate whether a party with such “sick ideas” could really be established, ANP news agency reported.

Kees van deer Staaij, a member of the Christian SGP party, also demanded action: “Pedophilia and child pornography should be taboo in every constitutional state. Breaking that will just create more victims and more serious ones.”

Can you almost hear — in the background of this one article — the approaching wave of one-liners from Dutch stand up comics: “Sure, it may seem sick to you, but that’s probably because you have latent pedophilic tendencies…not that there’s anything wrong with that…ha, ha, ha.” This is how you de-taboo something in America. Make a mockery of anyone who would dare takes it seriously. It works like a charm. 10,000 episodes of Will & Grace later, we’re all a lot more enlightened.

In this country as in Europe, democracy means that 3% of the population gets to redifine marriage for the other 97% or face charges of homophobia in the court of public opinion. Why should pedophilia be any different? The fact that Big Love and stories like the one above show that those of us on this side of the issue were essentially right about where all this would lead is beside the point. That horse is out of the barn and grazing happily on Brokeback Mountain.

So better start getting used to it, pedo-phobes. We’re about 20 years away from the day when the local chapter of Parents of Pedophiles and Animal Lovers (PPAL) will be giving tips to high school students on how to find mature friends online.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Post to Twitter

Category: Marriage & Family |

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.