John on September 1, 2010 at 11:55 am
Update 2PM PST: It’s over. Police report that James Lee has been shot and his 3 hostages are free. They believe his explosive device may have gone off when he was shot.
Update 2:55PM PST (Morgen): Lee’s Meetup page confirms he was an atheist:
Hello. I’ve been in DC-MD for a few years now looking for some of that ‘change.’ I’m an Atheist and am extremely proud and open about that fact. My favorite authors are Daniel Quinn, Richard Dawkins, and Jared Diamond.
Guess he never found the “change” he was looking for.
This story hit close to home:
A gunman, possibly carrying explosives, has entered the headquarters of the Discovery Channel and fired shots, according to police in Silver Spring, Md…”There’s a guy with a gun in the lobby. Police are swarming in — assault rifles and all,” producer Talal Al-khatib told ABCNews.com via instant message.
One of my best friends in the world (best man at my wedding) works for Discovery as an editor. When this broke, I got worried because, if you knew my friend Henry, you’d know that he would be the guy volunteering to be a hostage so everyone else could leave the building.
I just got off the phone with him. He was home and had just learned what happened from a neighbor who also came to check on him. He checked his company e-mail from home and found this:
We have reason to believe there is an armed gunman at One Discovery Place. All employees should seek protection in a locked office on their respective floors immediately.
According to this site (HT: Chris Moody on Twitter), the guy with the gun is “a disgruntled, aspiring TV producer who has apparently gone off the deep end after having his pitches rejected by Discovery on several occasions.” His website now contains a list of demands. Here’s a sample:
- All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions. In those programs’ places, programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility must be pushed.
- Civilization must be exposed for the filth it is. That, and all its disgusting religious-cultural roots and greed. Broadcast this message until the pollution in the planet is reversed and the human population goes down!
- Programs must be developed to find solutions to stopping ALL immigration pollution and the anchor baby filth that follows that. Find solutions to stopping it.
- Develop shows that mention the Malthusian sciences about how food production leads to the overpopulation of the Human race. Talk about Evolution. Talk about Malthus and Darwin until it sinks into the stupid people’s brains until they get it!!
- Develop shows that will correct and dismantle the dangerous US world economy. Find solutions for their disasterous Ponzi-Casino economy before they take the world to another nuclear war.
- Humans are the most destructive, filthy, pollutive creatures around and are wrecking what’s left of the planet with their false morals and breeding culture.
- Also, war must be halted. Not because it’s morally wrong, but because of the catastrophic environmental damage modern weapons cause to other creatures.
- These are the demands and sayings of Lee.
The general aura is one of eco-lunacy. The idea that humanity is a plague upon the planet is reminiscent of Paul Ehrlich. The manifesto also echos a lot of the talk coming more recently from John Reid and others on the left.
Of course every time something like this happens, the left assures us that they don’t play the “blame game.” But these same sites weren’t so reticent in drawing conclusions when a Muslim cab driver was stabbed in Manhattan recently. Only violence plausibly emanating from the right is symbolic of larger problems and a “climate of hate.” Violence from the left, well, in that case it’s just another lone gunman.
Update: According to his website, this is video of James Jay Lee throwing money in the air in Silver Spring:
I’m not sure what the point of this was, but there it is. Here’s a screen grab of him in action. You can see the money in the air:
And here’s a title sequence he created for his proposed Discovery Channel show:
He used “Eve of Destruction” as his theme music. Also note this photo from his MySpace page. The caption is his addition:
It almost goes without saying that he’s an atheist, but I’m saying it because, if he were a Christian, it would be fodder.
Update 2: James Lee reviews Al Gore:
I finished reading Al Gore’s book, and inconvenient truth a few days ago. It was very enlightening. However, at the end he didn’t offer any real solutions, as if changing a lightbulb would even put a scratch in the global warming epidemic. The book was half good, which means the part about science was good. The rest seemed like a commercial for sainthood.
I re-read Genesis the first chapter. It was obviously written by a totalitarian farmer.
Here’s another bit of foreshadowing on his MySpace page. Note this is from 2006:
Been having strange dreams.
I can’t seem to stop myself from this venture. I can’t think about anything else except this and this alone. Thanks for ruining my life Shannon.
I am ready to go all the way with this one. All the way guys!
I hope no one is hurt by this lunatic.
Update 3: Think Progress attempts a gainer with a half twist by trying to claim Lee’s manifesto has a lot in common with right-wing anti-immigration groups. Pity the poor junior staffer who was assigned this line of garbage.