John on December 3, 2009 at 8:22 am
Keith alerted me to this one:
The Lord, it appears, is not only always with us – He can also help make sure we’ve got a nicely ironed shirt at the same time.
Or so reckons Mary Jo Coady, who spotted this likeness of Jesus Christ on the burnt bottom of her old iron.
Mrs Coady, 44, from Massachusetts, immediately told her two daughters. ‘They were like, “Mom, that’s Jesus looking at us”,’ she said.
The medical secretary said her faith had been renewed by the find, which reassured her that ‘life is going to be good’.
Usually these stories are just an excuse for journalists to make snarky asides about Christianity. I think this particular article is a bit disappointing in that respect actually. It got me thinking about the best Biblical references they could have used in this story. So here’s the ones I might have tried to work in.
- As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)
- The path of the righteous is level; O upright One, you make the way of the righteous smooth. (Isaiah 26:7)
- So Jesus went with him. A large crowd followed and pressed around him. (Mark 5:24)
- But if God so clothes the grass in the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, how much more will He clothe you? (Luke 12:28)
- They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. (Heb. 1:10-11)
- Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish. (Ephesians 5:25-27)
- Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron. (1 Tim. 4:2)
- I advise you to buy from Me…white garments so that you may clothe yourself, and that the shame of your nakedness will not be revealed… (Rev. 3:18)
- It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean… (Rev. 19:8)
- And the first one that came to mind…Turn or burn!
With stuff like this you just have to laugh a little.
Category: Religion & Faith |